Friday, June 12, 2009

Bluff City Daialogue 2 Producer's Corner: MIDI Marc

Seeing that the Bluff City Daialogue 2 tape is moving on the 'net and coming to a 'hood near you...I have decided to give people a little insight into the massive recording process (notice the "massive" description...lol) of this series and the people who shaped the sonic soundscape of my project.

The first person on the list is my mans Marcum "MIDI Marc" Core from Hopkins, South Carolina.

He is known by many aliases like "Hopkins South Cak Shawty", "Mr. 6 beats in tha' trap movin'" and his inclusion on Bluff City Daialogue 2 was a needed one.

His soulful, bass-heavy compositions were already a hit in the underground game. With prior major placements in his homestate plus his remixes of Jay-Z's Blueprint, GZA's Liquid Swords, Nas' Stillmatic and many other classic albums floating on the internet, it was only a matter of time before we crossed paths.

Actually, I believe it was around the time he started dropping his Fresh Produce joints (which were a collection of random beats that were produced on a weekly basis) that a heavy discussion came about by a way of a phone call.

"Yo, Dai. I need you to listen to this track like right now! Check your email."

The aforementioned track was Project Pat's "Keep It Hood" feat. OJ Da' Juiceman. We both agreed that after the quiet slip up of Pat's previous album "Walkin' Bank Roll", this track was a HELL of a way for Pat to come back. After that, the next call I got from MIDI really threw me off.

"Yo, Dai...I got a beat for you."

Now, I know if MIDI gives me a beat...9 times out of 10 it's going to be some angry faces, cussin' and headshakin' because he ALWAYS comes with the heat (I repeat: ALWAYS comes with the heat). I mean, he was nominated in the Best Producer category in 2008 Southern Entertainment Awards alongside Bangladesh (the guy who produced Lil' Wayne's "A Milli"). So, he's official on the boards.

But, this time I was a little weary. He said that this particular beat was the remix of "Keep It Hood" and he wanted me to hop on it to put that M-Town flavor to it. I didn't mind that but the song itself bothered me.

First, to even think about remixing Paul & Juicy is blasphemous in the South. Second, I was still hung up on the first thing. I have NEVER heard anybody touch those Memphis boys on the soul tracks. Until now.

Lo and behold...I listen to the track and the track was bangin' out the frame. I wrote the most North Memphis-esque rhyme I could think of and laid down for mixing. Then, MIDI (being the producer that he is) told me that he wanted to throw another emcee on the song: Fat Rat da' Czar.

Now, I have heard some of his work and I figured...South Cak's hood ain't no different than Memphis so it was a go. He finished his 16 and this the version that you have today on the Bluff City Daialogue 2.

-L'Daialogue

LINK: L'Daialogue DiCaprio-Keep It Hood (MIDI Marc Remix) feat. Project Pat & Fat Rat da' Czar

http://tinyurl.com/m3yfbu


*Editorial Note: After this song, me and MIDI figured that a mutual respect for tha' Patsa and all things musical...we should do a project. So, we did (seriously) and the first single off that untitled project is called "Da' Shape Of Ya" which will be posted here in the next few weeks.


Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: